Saturday, November 3, 2007

Glowing With Pride

Joannie Rochette was glowing at least a little bit after some good fortune fell her way at HomeSense Skate Canada on Saturday afternoon.
And no, we're not just talking about the funky glow-in-the-dark skate guards she sported while chatting with the media after learning she'll be taking a bronze medal home from the proceedings at Pepsi Colisee.
"
I'm proud to be third,” said Rochette, who had to battle back from a fifth-place finish in the short program to earn her podium finish.
She needed help, and she got it. She watched as both surprise short program winner Laura Lepisto of Finland and American Emily Hughes tumbled below her in the final standings. It wasn't the Skate Canada gold Rochette won a year ago in Victoria, but she'll happily take it. She also sees it as a good starting point for the new season, and leaves Quebec City with no regrets.
"I look forward to the future,” said Rochette. "
I don't want to say 'I should have, I should have.' It's in the past now. I feel good. I'm actually better than (I was) last year at this time of the year.”
Rochette, it might be said, raised the expectation bar for herself in a major way back in 2005, when she delivered the best women's free skate in years at the Canadian championships back in London, Ont. — her first of three straight national crowns. She's had to live up to that ever since, at least in the minds of fans and the critics.
Ask Rochette about it, and she offers up a different perspective.
"I know (how good I can be) and it's enough for me to know,” said the 21-year-old from Ile-Dupas, Que. "I don't expect perfection from me all the time, because I'm not perfect at practice every day ... I'm just trying to make all my practices (consistent).
"Before, I would have a good practice day and an awful practice day. Now I'm just trying to even that out.”

She's growing up in other areas, too.
"Before if I had a bad short, I would just go home and cry and not be happy,” she said. "I hate that, because I'm supposed to be doing this sport because I love it, and not putting too much pressure on myself.
"(Friday), I said 'that's what I did today' and that's (a lesson) I'll take home from here.”
Oh, and about those skate blades. Rochette said they're all the rage in skate shops back in Montreal.
"Everyone has them,” said Rochette.
"Aren't they lovely?” added coach Manon Perron. "If we lose power at home, she can always find her way (in the dark).”
Sounds rather practical, too.

No comments: