Monday, November 5, 2007

Merci, Quebec ... a la prochaine!

On the day I arrived in this wonderful piece of Canada for the first time, I remember asking the question 'what's the best time to visit Quebec City?'
'Any time,' answered the friendly volunteer who brought me to the historic Chateau Frontenac from Jean Lesage Airport, and then back again this morning.
I believe it now, and with all of my heart.
It is always a treat to spend time at a major figure skating competition, and around a group of athletes who do their best to make your time worthwhile. Even better when it's accompanied by the opportunity to discover what makes this land of ours so great.
I have often let it be known that Halifax is one of my favourite cities to visit in Canada. Quite obviously, after a few days here, Quebec City now belongs near the top of that list.
The oldest city in our country is every bit as beautiful as the pictures many of us have seen. The history here is preserved with great care by people who ooze pride about their astounding city. And with good reason, I might add.
While I will spend time, now that I've returned to Ottawa, speaking about the postcard-like beauty I've seen, and the food and hospitality I enjoyed at a grand old hotel that is nothing short of fabulous, that won't be my best and most lasting memory.
Quebec City is filled with so many people with a zest for life that bursts out with each 'bonjour!' you hear at every turn. There is a special sincerity in the tone, something that tells you these people don't just say it, they mean it. That you are most welcome to be a guest in the city they call home.
In 2008, Quebec City celebrates its 400th birthday, and a year-long celebration is being planned. I can only imagine what a festival it will be. With any luck, I will get the chance to be a part of it.
I've often heard the phrase joie de vivre used to describe the Quebecois, and I believe I can truly say now that I know what it means. And, at the risk of sounding political, it must be said that our country is so much richer for what they bring to it.
A big merci to you, Quebec City, for all for the kindness and hospitality you've shown us in the past four or five days. I, for one, will cherish it always.
And to those who logged on to this blog during HomeSense Skate Canada, merci to you as well. The road carries us next to Vancouver, where the BMO Canadian championships will be held in January.
Hope to see you all then.

No comments: